Places to Visit in Pune
Pune is the second most important city in Maharashtra state after the capital city of Mumbai. Pune is also the ninth most populous city in India and since the city is surrounded by hills, it is called ‘The City of Hills’. As you read through this article you will find many great places to visit in Pune.
Pune is situated on the Deccan plateau that is 560 meters above sea level, on the Mutha river banks. The city is also the administrative headquarters of the Pune district. Back in the days, Pune was the centre of power of the Maratha Empire which was established by Shivaji Maharaj.
When it comes to the cultural capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra, Pune is the city explorers need to visit. It is the epitome of Marathi culture. The culture of the city is a direct reflection of the effortless mix of modernity and culture. The city had the conventional old economic base. The majority of the industries from the earlier times continue to grow. The city is the perfect blend of the old world charm and the contemporary era.
Pune is also known for the several colleges that it encompasses within itself. Once a student has lived in the city, he or she will always carry the essence of Pune with him or her throughout life.
The metro city has a lot to offer when it comes to places to visit in Pune. Thus, we bring a list of must visit places for tourists and travellers alike.
Iconic Places to Visit in Pune
- Aga Khan Palace: The palace was built in the year 1892 and is an architectural marvel. It features on the list of places to visit in Pune because Mahatma Gandhi along with his wife was imprisoned in the palace. It was during the time of freedom struggle. The palace site has a beautiful garden which tempts the visitors to take a stroll through it. Photography is allowed on the palace grounds and there are different entry fees to be paid for children, adults and foreigners.
- Shaniwar Wada Palace: The palace was home to the Peshwa rulers. The royal palace is a mix of Maratha craftsmanship and Mughal architecture. The palace is located in close proximity to Mula-Mutha River. However, the palace was ravaged by fire in the 19th century and most of its structure was damaged. But the tourists and travellers can still enjoy the splendid views of the garden alongside attending the light and sound shows. These shows are conducted every evening on the palace grounds.
Entertainment Places to Visit in Pune
- Adlabs Imagica: The themed amusement park is among the list of places to visit in Pune with friends and family alike. It is open throughout the year and is located on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. There are different kinds of thrill rides, water rides and a wide variety of shows among other which people can enjoy.
- Malshej Ghat: It is a mountain pass in the Western Ghats with a huge variety of flora and fauna. Travellers and tourists are mesmerised by the spectacular views the place has to offer. The spot is apt for picnics because there is a cascading waterfall nearby.
Religious Places to Visit in Pune
- Pataleshwar Cave Temple: It is a historic temple which is located at the heart of the city. This temple was built in the 8th century and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple structure was made out of a sole piece of basalt rock and it resembles the design of the Ellora caves. The temple is home to other Hindu Gods and Goddesses as well. The entry to the temple is free for everyone.
- Dagdusheth Halwai Temple: The aforementioned temple is the most important places when it comes to religious and historic places. This temple is popular all over the state of Maharashtra for its benevolent and prosperous Lord Ganesha idol. The temple attracts tonnes of devotees in the form of locals and tourists alike on a daily basis. It is not only a place of devotion and worship but it also features among the list of places to visit in Pune because of the architecture. But the temple trust is involved in a lot of welfare activities for the city. One can experience a serene ambience amidst the busy and chaotic city.
Other Places to Visit in Pune
- Khadakwasla: The Khadakwasla Dam is located on the banks of Mutha River and features among the list of most attractive places to visit in Pune. The dam is among the main sources of water in the city. You will see that it is one of the most loved picnic spots in the city. It is located on the road to Sinhagad Fort. The dam was built in the year 1879 and was one of a kind in the entire world as it was in masonry fashion. Places like National Defence Academy, Kudje village and Peacock Bay are located in close proximity to the bank.
- Vetal Tekdi: People looking for breathing some clean air should definitely visit the Vetal Tekdi. It features among the must visit places in the city. The spot is also known as The Vetal Hills. It stands up to 2,600 ft which is the highest point within the Pune limits. The hills are bordered by Pashan suburbs, the hills and temples of Chatuhshrungi and Symbiosis Society Campus. The place is a must visit for escaping the hustle and bustle of the city life.
The aforementioned list of places to visit in Pune is just the top layer of the most famous attractions of the city. By being an avid explorer you will always find places that are lesser known and there are pure gems to be discovered.